FAIRMONT (AP) — Marion County’s emergency chief says he concerned about a spate of carbon monoxide poisonings in the county.
Ten people have been hospitalized since Sunday, including seven workers at a Marcellus Shale pump station.
Marion County homeland security and emergency management director Chris McIntire tells The Times West Virginian that there have been 30 total cases since January. The county typically sees five to 10 cases a year.
McIntire says he believes extreme cold weather is the reason for the increase.
Fairview Volunteer Fire Department chief Steve Gillespie says the seven workers who were sickened were working in a large unventilated tent containing two generators and several heaters on Sunday.
Three people were hospitalized Tuesday after a heating system in a house malfunctioned.