< ATTENTION: Due to our site crashing any and/or all emails submitted between Nov. 11-13 were lost. Please resubmit your emails. We apologize for the inconvenience.>

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Irresponsible management

Like drunken college students on spring break with their parents’ credit card, the Jefferson County Commission has spent you and I over $3.9 million in debt.

I guess they do take their lead from the state ($51 million in shortfalls) and the federal government ($17 trillion in debt).

Meanwhile, the average citizen in Jefferson County pays more in taxes each year than they do for housing and groceries. Over 45 percent of your gross income goes to taxes, fees and fines on average.

Citizens of the county are barely scraping by, while the county, state and nation keeps spending you — yes you — farther and farther into debt.

When will this insanity end?

Government has three, and only three main functions.

n The protection of life, but not the quality thereof — that is your responsibility, my friends.

n The protection of liberty — the protection of your natural and constitutionally protected rights and free will. In other words, the right to live your life as you see fit, as long as it does not interfere with anyone else’s right to live as they see fit, both within your own means.

n The protection of private property — protecting the property rights of the individual, which includes your money, for that is your property, that you have earned.

It seems our county and its commission has forgotten its true duty and instead has failed in its purpose. For certainly, it has not protected your property when it endangers it with mounting debt.

Government has become the worst enemy of the citizens when it spends your money — and yes it is yours — in charitable donations (for charity is not forced donations, by definition), engages in corporatism (such as contributions to the Airport Authority or other private businesses), or funds planning and zoning, which does nothing more than use your property tax dollars, to infringe upon your private property rights.

With 47 percent of this nation now living off of the other 53 percent (socialism defined), the madness must end.

The remaining taxpayers cannot afford to pay any more and as such the government cannot continue to exist unless a return to a simple and moral government is achieved.

Our country was founded on three simple principles, life, liberty and property. As free individuals we must take personal responsibility of the quality thereof.

Government does not exist to give you parks and libraries, sewer, water, substance or shelter, and even much less airports and dog wardens.

For if you empower the government to do so, then your liberty, property and life are all endangered.

Thomas Jefferson, whom our county is named after, once said: “A wise and frugal Government, shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”

We must heed his words or see our future — and that of our children — mortgaged for temporary pleasure and irresponsibility. For with liberty, comes personal responsibility and accountability.

 

S. Chris Anders

Shepherdstown

 

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>