Bicycle workshop, NYC bus trip, holiday events on lineup
SHENANDOAH JUNCTION – A how-to on learning to ride a bicycle, fitness events, a bus trip to New York City, special events for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, and much more are on the lineup through the end of the year at the Jefferson County Parks & Recreation Commission.
To reserve a spot in any of the activities or to get more info, call the commission at 304-728-3207 or go online to jcprc.org.
Special events scheduled include:
- A workshop on learning to ride a two-wheel bike happens from 10 a.m.to noon Oct. 19 outside the Jefferson County Parks and Recreation Commission Community Center at 235 Sam Michaels Lane in Shenandoah Junction. Youngsters will work on grass, with mats in place for falls. The cost is $15.
- A new art program for toddlers 20 months to 3 years includes lessons on color and texture, music, stories and more. One four-week session of Abrakadoodle Twoosy Doodlers starts Oct. 22 at the Community Center. Another session begins Oct. 26. The cost is $48 plus $20 for materials.
- A family-friendly “Halloween Happening” with games, costume contests, prizes, hayrides and treats starts at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at the Community Center. The cost is $5 and pre-registration is requested.
- Children pay $14 for an hour of Halloween pumpkin decorating and crafting at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at the Community Center.
- The deadline is Nov. 1 for children ages 5 to 17 to sign up for the park system’s winter youth basketball league.
- A bus trip to New York leaves the Community Center at 5 a.m. Nov. 7, to arrive at Madison Square Garden at mid-morning. Participants can explore New York City till the bus departs at 8 p.m. The fee is $68; anyone younger than 18 must travel with an adult.
- With school out Nov. 11 for Veterans Day, youngsters 5 to 12 may pay $50 to spend 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. playing sports and enjoying activities at the Community Center. Parents should send along a packed lunch and water bottle.
- A free Wee Warrior Dash one-mile fun run/obstacle course for kids 3 to 15 begins at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 16 at Sam Michaels Park.
- A chili cookoff and holiday craft fair happens from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 16 at the Community Center. There’s no cost for restaurants or amateurs to enter the chili competition and crafters pay $30 per space. Entertainment and demonstrations also are on tap.
- The deadline to register for the park system’s indoor soccer league is Nov. 19 with games set to begin Dec. 21. Volunteer coaches also are sought. The cost is $55 per play and $45 for siblings.
- Children spend an hour making a “Thankful Thanksgiving” craft Nov. 20 at the Community Center. The class starts at 3:45 p.m. and costs $14.
- Children spend an hour making holiday crafts and enjoying Christmas stories and songs Dec. 9 at the Community Center. The class starts at 3:45 p.m. and costs $14.
- Dec. 9 is the deadline to register for the “Elf Pajama Party,” happening from 5 to 9 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Community Center. Kids wear their pjs and enjoy a pizza dinner, basketball, movies, crafts, a moon bounce and treats. The cost is $20.
- “Lunch with Santa” happens from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 14 at the Community Center with the chance to enjoy lunch, get a photo taken with Santa, make a craft to take home, and more. The cost is $12.
- Children spend an hour making Christmas ornaments at 3:45 p.m. Dec. 18 at the Community Center. The cost is $14.
- Any child ages 6 to 12 can create a keepsake wooden gingerbread house from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Community Center. The fee is $25.
- A fun art camp for children ages 6 to 12 happens from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 30 at the Community Center. The cost is $40 and parents should send a packed lunch.