Charles Town home damaged in fire

CHARLES TOWN – A Charles Town house was damaged Friday after a fire broke out in the basement, according to Dan Fritsch, assistant fire chief with Citizens Fire Company.

The fire, which was likely caused by a dryer, resulted in “significant smoke, water and fire damage,” to the house at 545 Brooke St., Fritsch said.

Nobody was injured in the blaze, although one person was at home at the time the fire started.

“A single occupant was home [and] saw smoke coming from the basement area,” Fritsch said, adding firefighters were also led to believe an elderly man was also in the house but that after two searches of the residence it was learned that the man had already gotten out of the house.

The call went out at 12:58, and Citizens Volunteer Fire Company was the first to respond at 1:03. They were later joined by units from Shepherdstown, Blue Ridge, Independent, Bakerton and Middleway volunteer fire companies. Units from Loudoun and Berkeley counties also responded to the incident.

One firefighter was examined by paramedics for heat exhaustion at the scene of the fire, but did not require transportation to the hospital.

Fritsch said two cats were also killed in the fire. He said smoke detectors in the house were not functional.

Fritsch reminds all residents that they should make sure to regularly check and change the batteries on their smoke detectors.

Reports that fire hydrants had failed while fighting the fire are incorrect, according to Fritsch.

– Bryan Clark

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>