Carole Griffith from
Shepherdstown, Beverly Meadows
of Shepherdstown and Joyce Dailey
from Harpers Ferry were among
the nearly 45 people who attended
the third annual Victorian Tea Party
at historic Charmadoah in Harpers
Ferry on Saturday. The tea is hosted
by Charmadoah owner, Mrs. Shirley
Caniford and her husband, James.
- Each guest was served a pot of Queen Mary Tea along with sandwiches, scones, cake, cookies and chocolate mousse.
- Charmadoah, which overlooks the Shenandoah River, was built in 1881 by Civil war veteran Col. Henry R. Miles, who used it as a retreat from his flourishing business in Washington, D.C. Miles instructed that the builder construct the house so that “from every room a view of the river must be seen.” Proceeds from the tea will support the church, its Ministry to the Appalachian Trail hikers, its support of Jefferson County Community Ministries and its many other community and charitable activities.