No gun on man shot in police standoff

CHARLES TOWN – The man who was shot by police after he barricaded himself in a home outside of Charles Town over the weekend did not have a gun, according to a statement released Tuesday by West Virginia State Police, though they say he “was armed with a black metallic object that he represented to be a firearm.”

Initial news reports quoted Jefferson County Sheriff Robert Shirley, who said a shot had been fired from the house.

Steven Wayne Taylor, 53, of Virginia Beach, Va., remains in an undisclosed medical facility and is expected to recover, according to police.

First Sgt. E.D. Widmyer, Cpl. J.S. Chumley and Sr. Trooper P.S. Kennedy of the West Virginia State Police were placed on administrative leave following the shooting, along with Dep. Sgt. R.L. Fletcher of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department. This is standard procedure during the investigation of any officer-related shooting, according to the statement.

Fletcher has been fully cleared to return to duty and is expected to be back in service some time next week. Widmyer, Chumley and Kennedy have also been cleared and returned to full duty following an internal review.

The incident began Sunday when Taylor entered a home at 810 E. Washington St., and barricaded himself inside.

West Virginia State Police responded to the call, which went out at 2:20 p.m. Police were assisted by Jefferson County Sheriff’s deputies and other law enforcement officers, who were told Taylor had threatened to kill anyone entering the house and that he was armed with a 9 mm handgun during the nearly three-hour standoff, police say.

The standoff ended at about 5:09 p.m., after shots were fired and Taylor was taken into custody and transported to Jefferson Memorial Hospital, according to police.

An investigation into the incident is being conducted by Trooper C.J. Hill. Warrants against Taylor have been issued for assaulting police officers, making terroristic threats and daytime burglary. An earlier warrant sought for a felon in possession of a firearm charge was not issued because Taylor did not have a gun.

First Sgt. C. E. Platt and Sgt. E. D. Anderson of the State Police will conduct an investigation into the officer-related shooting. A final report on the incident will not be completed for several weeks.

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>