CHARLESTON (AP) — A man charged with three sniper-style slayings in Kanawha County is asking the judge to move his trial to another county.
Media outlets report that 36-year-old Shawn Lester’s lawyer told a judge Thursday that the defendant can’t get a fair trial in Kanawha County.
Kanawha County chief public defender George Castelle cited intense media coverage of the case in asking Circuit Judge Duke Bloom for a change of venue.
Assistant Prosecutor Don Morris opposes moving the trial to another county. He says Lester was arrested last year and his name wasn’t mentioned at the time of the slayings.
Lester is charged with murder in the fatal shootings of Jeannie Patton, Okey Meadows Jr. and Gary Carrier. The victims were shot outside convenience stores.
Lester’s trial is set for May 29.